Friday, February 22, 2008

Oye Como Va baby!!!!!!

First of all, let me apologise for not updating you guys about the Dylan concert last year. Frankly speaking, it was a disappointment. The only songs I could recognise was 'Like a Rolling Stone' and 'Everybody Must Get Stoned' from the old catalogue. All the rest was new, sadly. He sounds worst than ever, but if it's any consolation, the music was good and I ll leave it at that for fear I may tarnish the image of this legend. Don't get me wrong, I still love the guy, but I guess some of that magic is gone.

Santana Live Your Light Tour - 21/02/08
Started it off by wearing my red Santana shirt. So it was me, Aaron, Adrian and Xing who kindly drove us there. Got there early, about 6.30, concert was suppose to start at 7, but we took our time, knowing how punctual these guys tend to be. Got a pint of Kilkhenny each at the Irish bar. No better way to gear ourselves up for it. Got in about 7.15, checked out the merchandise and got me self a poster. We got pretty good seats I must say.

It started with a slide show and this guy talking about love and being together, it was real spiritual stuff, then Santana jumped in and opened with Jingo which was damn awesome. His whole line up was good, they supported him all the way. After that, it was a lot of cruisy latin slow rock stuff, still from his older catalogue.

He kicked back in with long riffs and solos. He played some stuff from Coltrane, even rocking up, 'A Few of My Favourite Things' . Then he continued the Coltrane feel with a Love Supreme. The dudes on vocals and Carlos kept saying Love Supreme again and again. He then proceeded to give us a short spiel on love and the universe and that everything is an illusion (fear, separation etc) and that the only thing real is the love between us and God. At first I thought he was getting kinda preachy, but then he said, ' Shiva, Allah, Buddha, Jesus, it doesn't matter what name you use, just feel the love'. Woah! it was like getting all cosmic and high man, if only weed worked on me.

He dedicated 'Evil Ways' to George Bush and that got a kick out of the audience. He rolled into Black Magic Woman which was just awesome but a bit too short. Then he jumped straight into Oye Como Va, which was damn good, especially the dude on the congas. After that, he 'ended' and 'walked off stage'. The crowd weren't easily fooled and we cheered him back on. He replied with Soul Sacrifice which was mind blowing. It was bloody cool. He ended with Smooth and Dance All Night.

I was really flabbergasted. Mainly cos at his age, Carlos did not disappoint. He was full on. Short of some stage antics, this was the Santana I first listened to all those years ago on my brand new tape. The Santana who still played real latin rock, instead of the dude who collaborates with crappy wannabe rockstars and popsters. It was Carlos at his best, it was the Shango all right. He played like he was 25 again. I was very satisfied.

No comments: